Thursday, September 5, 2013

Before And After: A Duck Egg Coffee Table



Hello!


It's back to a good old before and after today! I won't be mentioning the 'e' word at all in this post...ok, just once for those that missed my last post all about 'exercise' or the 'e' word as I'll now refer to it as. And if you did manage to get through possibly my longest post ever - thank you!


Onto today's post though, which is all about this...




A custom piece for a client that was handmade and it even has storage underneath the table top. Genius!

This has been painted in DIY chalk paint in a duck egg-ish colour (can't remember its exact name) but it is very similar to Annie Sloan duck egg. I colour matched to a frame my client has, using my Dulux fan deck. 
It was then heavily distressed and sealed with wax.











The before -




You know, I never tire of the magic that happens just by applying paint and a little know how/creativity to a piece of furniture that is past its prime. 
It's why I love what I do! :-)

And for those of you interested in how I do my heavy distressing - I always use my mouse sander with a fairly high grit paper. I used 320 grit for this one, and I go over the whole piece. If I'm doing light distressing, I just go over where the piece would naturally get wear and tear.
But for heavy distressing, I use the high grit combined with heavier pressure by me (and my now growing muscles;-) and I cover the whole piece using quite quick movements. I try to create more friction so that the paint comes off wherever it wants to but at the same time all these factors combine to make it all really smooth in one step. 
If it still needs smoothing, I'll go over with a sanding sponge, always 320 grit.

Hope this makes sense! 


Could you stand a little duck egg at your place? It's a colour that makes me think of summer and the beach and holidays...


Courts xx
Furniture Feature Fridays

No comments:

Post a Comment